Former aerospace and defense precision manufacturing CEO, Jason Premo, and other Aerospace industry leaders have joined an Advisory Board to advance and market South Carolina’s aerospace cluster on the global stage. Chairman of the Advisory Board and President of Ranger Aerospace, Steve Townes, announced the new Board members and unveiled the cluster’s logo at the SC Aerospace Conference and Expo on August 27th in Columbia.
The announcement comes on the heels of a two-year effort by the South Carolina Council on Competitiveness and the South Carolina Department of Commerce to develop the aerospace cluster. The organizations launched networking events this year designed to connect the industry with assets located in South Carolina.
The organizations are also working together to develop a GIS-based, interactive asset map to be launched on the SC Aerospace website later this year. Staff from the SC Council on Competitiveness conducts one-on-one meetings with aerospace companies to determine capabilities and to report expansion and development opportunities to the SC Department of Commerce.
Mr. Premo co-founded ADEX Machining Technologies in 2007 as manufacturer of ultra-high precision CNC machined structures, components and assemblies for Aerospace, Defense, and Energy industries with customers including Boeing, NASA, GE Aviation, and others, which achieved rapid growth before being acquired in late 2014 by a mid-market manufacturing-focused private equity firm. Mr. Premo now leads Premo Ventures, a Greenville, South Carolina-based private equity firm specializing in buyout acquisition transactions of underserved smaller market companies in precision manufacturing and services in the Southeast USA.
Advisory Board Members (in alphabetical order by company):
- ATI: Hunter Dalton, Executive Vice President of Strategic Growth Initiatives
- Boeing: Doug Kelly, Director, Supplier Management
- Champion Aerospace: Jason Marlin, President
- GKN Aerospace: Bill Beard, Vice President, General Manager
- Honeywell Aerospace: Mike Hutcheson, ISC Site Director
- JBE, Inc.: Jerry Ellison, President
- Labinal Power Systems: Paul McDowell
- Leatherwood Manufacturing: Mike Leatherwood, Owner/President
- Lockheed Martin: Trish Pagan, Greenville Operations Program Manager
- Premo Ventures: Jason Premo, Chairman
- Ranger Aerospace: Steve Townes, President and CEO
- RBC AeroStructures: Stan Griffs, Director of Operations
- Stevens Aviation: Paul Witt, Executive Vice President
- TIGHITCO: Ian Williams, Vice President and General Manager
- Triumph Group: Jim Devries, General Manager
- UEC Electronics: Rebecca Ufkes, President
- Venture Aerobearings: Vida Butler, President and General Manager
About SC Aerospace
SC Aerospace is a collaborative effort to advance and market South Carolina’s aerospace industry cluster on the global stage. We are a partnership of the public, private, academic and nonprofit sectors connecting the industry’s assets and securing future growth. Aerospace is a high-impact industry cluster that contributes $17 billion per year to South Carolina’s economy. Employment in the aerospace cluster is growing at a rate eight times higher than the state’s average, and private-sector aerospace employees are compensated over $70,000 per year on average. By growing aerospace in South Carolina, our work creates high-wage jobs and grows the economy. For more information, visit our website